Frank Zyback, part-time farmer and part-tinkerer, had hammered
together the prototype center pivot
in 1947 after viewing a demonstration of hand-moved pipe.
During the next several years, he continually modified and
refined the basic design to improve its operational efficiency
and, in 1954, agreed to license his patent to Bob Daugherty,
who eight years earlier began Valley® Manufacturing (now
known as Valmont® Industries).
Valmont®'s engineers took Zyback's unit apart and rebuilt
it again and again over the next several years to make it
sturdier, taller, and more reliable. By the early 1960s,
according to Daugherty, Valmont had overcome most of the
design and production problems. A basic improvement was
conversion from the original water hydraulic power system
to electric drive. Most machines were running on electric
power by 1975.
Valmont® introduced corner systems
in 1975 to assist in irrigation of square, rectangular,
and other odd shaped fields.
operates from 31 facilities located in eleven countries
around the world. The Company is headquartered in Omaha,